Thursday, April 14, 2016

How Can We Prevent Diabates

To those who have been following my posts about Diabetes, I do hope you are still with me and not starting to get overwhelmed with too much information. Part of the reason why I shy away with these kind of posts is the fact that there are certain information that I honestly am not familiar and at times conflicting. There are also instances that boredom strikes especially if I find the explanation too medical. That is why I allotted ample time to research on articles that will help us understand such global issue as diabetes.

I always believed in continuing education as we age. The thirst for knowledge & information is something I find important to be abreast with the times - times which are constantly changing. In this final installment on diabetes information, I will share the different causes and ways on how we can still prevent diabetes.


CAUSES OF DIABETES



 TYPE 1  & TYPE 2 DIABETES CAUSES

Type 1 diabetes is caused by the immune system destroying the cells in the pancreas that make insulin. This causes diabetes by leaving the body without enough insulin to function normally. There is no specific diabetes causes, but the following triggers may be involved:
Underlying genetic disposition may also be a type 1 diabetes cause.


Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial where more than one diabetes cause is involved. This is the most likely type 2 diabetes cause. There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition.
These include: 

Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors.



HOW CAN WE PREVENT DIABETES

 Below is an easy to understand infographic on how we can prevent diabetes.

        
Infographic Source

Out of the  8 steps mentioned in the infographic, I was guilty of not getting the right amount of sleep, having irregular eating habits and not being able to manage stress. My Mom was guilty as well especially during those days when Dad had been ill with cancer and after his death. She became more workaholic though that somehow helped ease the pain of loosing my Dad. We were not a family who was into junk food, buffet and eat outs because we lived in the province where malls and groceries were rare, where we usually walk to save on fare and get to the nearest store or market. However My Mom suffered the repercussions big time. She did not have any vices ever since however due to her small salary she always took care of our needs first before her own.


When I started working in the evenings, it was my Mom who constantly reminded me not to skip meals just to catch up on my sleep. When stress was already taking its toll on my health & sanity, she suggested that I consider working in a day shift even if it would mean getting myself a lesser pay. She explained that I will feel the repercussions of not sleeping in the evenings for a decade once I age. 

It was hard.

After a lot of reading, reflecting and long conversations with my Mom over the phone, I followed what she told me. I left my work before the year ended and looked for a day job with less pay, as what to be expected. I have been enjoying sleeping in the evenings and catching up lost time with my kids. Lastly, I now can find more time to run, walk, practice Yoga, catch up on  my reading and blogging which was put on hold when I was busy working in the evenings.

As early as now, I am glad with the decision I made. This may just be the start of my journey in preventing diabetes.The challenge of eating the right food, handling stress and not getting confused with too many and conflicting information will always be there. But being aware is better than living in the dark. Learning is a continuous process but I will always be up to the challenge of getting informed & choosing to live the remaining years of my life filled with good health and wellness.
                                     



0 comments:

Post a Comment